This is a quick and simple recipe for any time of year, it makes for a great birthday cake, but with a slight addition it becomes a chocoholics dream, perfect for Easter.
200g of dark chocolate, chopped
250g of butter, softened
170g of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 eggs, at room temperature
245g of self-raising flour
31g of cocoa powder
168ml of milk
1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
Small solid chocolate Easter eggs, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-assisted. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper.
2. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on Medium (50%), stirring every 30 seconds with a metal spoon, for 2 minutes or until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cooled chocolate. Beat until just combined.
4. Sift flour and cocoa powder together. Fold ½ the flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold ½ the milk into chocolate mixture. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth surface.
5. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean (cover with foil if over-browning). Stand in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Using a spatula, spread chocolate-hazelnut spread all over top of cake. Decorate with Easter eggs. Serve.
I hope you have a wonderful Easter. I’m sure to be gorging myself on chocolate and then trying very diet and exercise trick to burn it all off again. Wish me luck!